We absolutely love it when we meet cats named after characters from books, it just melts our hearts!
Choosing a pet name inspired by a character is not easy, as you need to choose one that matches the personality of the character, with the cat.
Or perhaps this is looking a little too deeply into it, and a simple punny cat name from books would be better – plus it will make you laugh!
If you have a new kitty joining the family and you’re not sure what to name her, then consider these cat names from books your starting point!
The Very Best Literary Names for Cats
To kick off our list, here is the ultimate list of cat names after characters from books. Whether the character is a cat or not, they have inspired this list of cat names from books!
- Frodo (Lord of the Rings)
- Bilbo (The Hobbit)
- Matilda (Matilda)
- Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
- Scout (To Kill A Mockingbird)
- Pluto (The Black Cat)
- Tab (Watership Down)
- Darcy (Pride and Prejudice)
- Puck (A Midsummer Night’s Dream)
- Dr. Watson (Sherlock Holmes)
- Queequeg (Moby Dick)
- Gilgamesh (The Epic of Gilgamesh)
- Richard Parker (The Life of Pi)
- Zaphod Beeblebrox (Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)
- Binx (Hocus Pocus)
Punny Male Cat Names from Books
Ever wanted to make your friends chuckle with a punny cat name related to book characters? Here are some male cat names with book references.
- Catticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)
- Jay Catsby (The Great Gatsby)
- Meowby Dick (Moby Dick)
- Romeow (Romeo and Juliet)
- Tom Pawyer (Tom Sawyer)
- Purrful Dodger (Oliver Twist)
- Count Catula (Dracula)
- Conan the Cat (Conan the Barbarian)
- David Caterfield (David Copperfield)
- The BFC (Big Friendly Cat)
- Prince Catspian (The Chronicles of Narnia)
- Purrlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes)
Punny Female Cat Names from Books
Here are some punny female cat names with book references.
- Catnip Meowverdeen (The Hunger Games)
- Cat-thulhu (The Call of Cthulhu)
- Catlessi (Game of Thrones)
- Catsa (Graceling)
- Catlotta (The Phantom of the Opera)
- Queen Furline (The Wizard of Oz)
- Catandra (The Secret Series)
Fictional Cats Used in Literature
If you want to name your kitty after a cat that appeared in your favorite book, here are some top literature cat names.
- Buttercup (The Hunger Games)
- Church (Pet Cemetery) (The Mortal Instruments)
- Dinah (Alice in Wonderland)
- Ginger (The Last Battle)
- Greebo (Discworld)
- Mog (Mog the Forgetful Cat)
- Snowbell (Stuart Little)
- Tigger (Winnie the Pooh)
- Aslan (The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe)
- Harry Cat (A Cricket In Times Square)
- Splat (Splat The Cat)
- Garfield (Garfield)
Cat Names from Books for Several Cats
If you have two or three cats, here are some great cat names from books that would work for more than one cat…
- Katniss and Prim (The Hunger Games)
- Romeo and Juliet (Romeo and Juliet)
- Edgar, Allan, and Poe
- Eleanor and Park (Eleanor and Park)
- Sherlock and Watson (Sherlock Holmes)
- Jekyll and Hyde (The Tales of Jekyll and Hyde)
- Charlie and Lola
- Moony, Padfoot, Wormtail, and Prongs (Harry Potter)
- Fred and George (Harry Potter)
- Mr. and Mrs. Twit (The Twits)
- John and Mary (Sherlock Holmes)
- D’Artagnan, Aramis, Athos, Porthos (The Three Musketeers)
- Hickory, Dickory, and Doc (The Nursery Rhyme)
- Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather (Sleeping Beauty)
Beatrix Potter Names for Cats
If your children are fans of Beatrix Potter stories, then they’ll be pleased to know there are many cats that appear in her books.
Here are some great cat names from books by Beatrix Potter!
- Miss Moppet (The Story of Miss Moppet)
- Mittens (The Tale of Tom Kitten)
- Ribby (The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan)
- Simpkin (The Tailor of Gloucester)
- Tabitha Twitchit (The Tale of Tom Kitten)
- Tom (The Tale of Tom Kitten)
- Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle (The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle)
- Mr. Tod (The Tale of Mr. Tod)
Harry Potter Names for Cats
Harry Potter has so many great character names that would suit a cat. Whether you’re looking for a pun or just a great name, here are some excellent cat names from Harry Potter books!
- Harry Purrter
- Rubeus Catrid (Hagrid)
- Lord Voldecat (Lord Voldemort)
- Pawtunia (Aunt Petunia)
- Madam Pawmfrey (Madam Pomfrey)
- Helga Hufflepuff
- Mrs. Norris
Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats Names for Cats
One of the best books to find cat names is the Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats, which has some great names for your new feline friend!
- Cat Morgan
- Great Rumpus Cat
- Bustopher Jones
- Mr. Mistoffelees
- Old Deuteronomy
- Rum Tum Tugger
Like this post? Don’t forget to save it on Pinterest!
Last Updated on February 18, 2023 by Louisa